Find Building

Civic Centre

 

Images

  • Plymouth Civic Centre
  • Plymouth Civic Centre

Other Information

  • Plymouth Civic Centre was first mooted in 1943 as part of the reconstruction plans for the city, the Abercrombie Plan, named after the man who was employed to draw up rebuilding plans for a number of bomb damaged areas including the City of London.
  • The concept for the tower came when the city architect, Hector Stirling, however he was replaced in 1957 following a refusal to reduce the budget for the building which he believed should be exemplary in quality and a symbol of civic recovery.
  • Although such buildings, when used as commercial offices, are common (see Castrol House and Thorn House in London) it is rare for a civic centre to consist of a slab and podium set out to the modernist principles seen at Lever House.
  • Until 1975 the building was open at the top to the general public to enjoy. This symbolism of allowing the public to stand above their elected representatives was deliberate and ended only when the Conservative party took control of the council.

News Articles

17-10-2012 > Sell Off Approaching For Plymouth Civic Centre

Companies

If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.

Architect
Jellicoe, Ballantyne and Coleridge
Environmental Consultant
Hoare Lea
Main Contractor
Costain
Masterplanning Architect
Hector J. W. Stirling
Structural Engineer
Arup Group

Reference Data

Reference No.
533
First Uploaded
19-02-2006
Last Editorial Date
06-10-2014
 

Building Location

Address
Armada Way, Plymouth. PL1 2AA
Council
Plymouth City Council
County
Devon
Region
South West
Country
United Kingdom

View in Google Maps

Building Specification

Status
Complete
Proposal date
1950
Construction start date
1957
Completion date
1962
Heritage Status
Grade II
Style
Modernist

Roof Height (AGL)
53.00

Total Floors (O.G)
15
Total Floors (U.G)
1
Number of Lifts
4

Market Data

Primary Use
Office

Floorspace (sq m)
10,500.00

Land Costs
£100,000.00
Date of Purchase
1954
Construction Cost
£1,600,000.00
Budget Date
1958

Metres > Feet