- The ecclesiastical origins of Gloucester Cathedral stem from the foundation of an abbey dedicated to Saint Peter in 681 although the present church was started in 1072 by Abbot Serlo.
- The catheral is essential a Norman church was has been modified with every style of Gothic architecture. The nave is Norman as indicated from the massive columns in the nave (note image 16), with an Early English roof; the crypt, under the choir, aisles and chapels, is Norman, as is the chapter house.
- The crypt is one of only four apsidal cathedral crypts in England, the others being at Worcester, Winchester and Canterbury. The geographical closeness to Winchester indicates that perhaps this was a popular local trend.
- The south porch is in the Perpendicular style along with the tower with fan-tracery roof, as also is the north transept, and the south being transitional Decorated Gothic. The choir has Perpendicular tracery over Norman work, with an apsidal chapel on each side.
- 1541 saw the church become a cathedral with the appointment of the first bishop as it was broken from the See of Worcester.
- The cathedral contains a number of treasures including the tomb of King Edward the Second who was reputedly murdered by a red hot poker inserted anally. There is also a monument to the eldest son of William the Conqueror, Robert Curthose, the man who was almost king.
- The East Window (see image 20) contains original medieval glass that has survived the years. It is the largest stone traceried medieval window in England and is roughly the size of a tennis court. The height to the highest point from the lowest is 22 metres (72 feet).
- Gloucester Cathedral is 128m long and 44m wide.
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- Masterplanning Architect
- Thomas of Canterbury
- Renovation Architect
- George Gilbert Scott
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- The Chapter Office, 2 The College Green, Gloucester. GL1 2LR
- Gloucester City Council
- South West
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in GL1
Marketing and Development (Holdings) Ltd Railway House, Bruton Way, Gloucester
Twigworth Business Centre Tewkesbury Road, Tewkesbury Road, Twigworth
Halls and Keck Limited SWJ House, Goodridge Avenue, Gloucester
Find Other Offices
- Construction start date
- Completion date
- Renovation Date
- Heritage Status
- Grade I
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Primary Use
- Place of Worship
Metres > Feet