- The Castle House scheme presents an opportunity for redevelopment, identified as one of three tall building sites by London Borough of Southwark's adopted Development Framework for the regeneration of the Elephant & Castle that lie at the heart of the regeneration plans for the area.
- The client's brief challenged the Hamiltons to develop a concept for a scheme of mixed use and tenure, including residential and retail that embraces energy efficiency and encourages the use of renewable energy sources, maximising the use of natural daylight and ventilation, targeting an EcoHomes assessment rating of excellent for the residential units.
- The design concept embodies a sustainable approach that minimises energy requirements from the outset, whilst exploring opportunities to generate heat and electricity on site including three wind turbines and a combined heat and power plant.
- The top 20 metres of this tower are three 9 metre diameter wind turbines housed in a self contained windfarm.
- The turbines are contained within enclosures that form a Venturi around the plane of the blades, improving overall efficiency whilst avoiding wind noise or vibration.
- The turbines generate sufficient electricity to light the entire building as an integral part of a low energy lighting concept.
- The overall aerodynamic form of the building, not only ensures that the Public Realm around its base is comfortable and encourages outside activity, being protected from adverse wind effects, but also greatly improves the efficiency of the turbines at its apex.
- In the tradition of silly skyscraper names this has been nicknamed the "electric razor" thanks to its similarity to certain razors.
19-07-2010 > Strata Spins Into Action
27-12-2007 > Electric Razor Construction Buzzes To Life
24-01-2007 > Multilpex To Begin Work On Electric Razor
21-03-2006 > Southwark Approve New Elephant Towers
17-01-2006 > Multiplex To Show Off New London Tower
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- Castle House Developments Ltd
- Lift Supplier
- Main Contractor
- Brookfield Group
- Planning Consultant
- Services Engineer
- WSP Group
- Structural Engineer
- WSP Group
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- Walworth Road, Elephant & Castle, London. SE1 6EE
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in SE1
City Lounge Ventures Central Working St John's Square, Clerkenwell Road, Farringdon
Ventia UK Ltd St John Street, St John Street, Clerkenwell
The Finsbury Business Centre Ltd Bowling Green Lane, Bowling Green Lane, Finsbury
Find Other Offices
- Proposal date
- Construction start date
- Completion date
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Top Floor Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Plant Floors
- Number of Lifts
- Primary Use
- Secondary Use
- Floorspace (sq m)
- Car Parking Spaces
Metres > Feet