Beetham Tower Manchester
Also known as Hilton Manchester and The Whistling Tower
- Beetham Tower is a landmark £150 million development at the junction of Deansgate, Great Bridgewater Street and Liverpool Road in Manchester city centre.
- Standing at 171m tall, it is the tallest building in Manchester, and has the UK's highest living space, and is the UK's tallest building outside London.
- The building includes a five star, 285 bedroom Hilton Hotel from levels 5-23, a 'destination sky bar' on the 24th floor and apartments up to floor 50.
- At floor 24 the building dramatically juts out 4m from the floors below with a cantilever.
- The project was submitted in early July 2003, was approved at the end of October, and began in February 2004.
- The top floors offer views stretching as far as the Welsh Mountains, Liverpool and the Blackpool Tower.
- A twelve storey office building is also part of the project, and will be built next to the main tower.
- The site was formerly home to an old section of railway viaduct, which contained a car dealership.
- As proportion of height to width the tower is from the side one of the thinnest skyscrapers in the world with a ratio of 10/1.
- The architect, Ian Simpson, has bought the duplex penthouse apartment for a reported £3 million, taking after Erno Goldfinger who designed Trellick Tower and also lived in his designs.
- Contrary to common media reports this is not the tallest residential tower in the U.K or Europe, not least because it is half hotel and Turning Torso in Malmo is entirely residential and taller. It does however have the tallest living space in the U.K.
- Beetham Tower is visible from ten counties.
27-04-2006 > Beetham Tower Manchester Celebrates Top Out
01-08-2005 > Beetham Reaches New Heights In Manchester
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- Ian Simpson Architects
- Beetham Organization
- Main Contractor
- Carillion PLC
- Services Engineer
- Cantor Seinuk Group
- Structural Engineer
- Cantor Seinuk Group
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- 301 Deansgate, Manchester. M3 4LQ
- Manchester City Council
- Greater Manchester
- North West
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
- Proposal date
- Construction start date
- Completion date
- Pinnacle Height (AGL)
- Pinnacle Type
- Facade Overrun
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Top Floor Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Plant Floors
- Total Floors (U.G)
- Primary Use
- Secondary Use
- Hotel Rooms
- Construction Cost
- Budget Date
Metres > Feet