- Trellick Tower is without a doubt the most famous, or some would say infamous, Brutalist building in London and has become such an icon one can buy t-shirts with it on, and even bookshelves.
- It was designed by Ian Flemming's acquaintance Erno Goldfinger who had the famous film character named after him.
- For several months Goldfinger himself lived in a penthouse in the tower as he had previously done at the Balfron Tower.
- The walkways between the service shaft and main tower every two floors are based on the dimensions of train carriages to make the users of them feel more comfortable and familiar with their surroundings. The entry once every two floors is because each flat is a duplex.
- The service block once housed an oil burning boiler at its top but since the 1973 oil crisis that saw the United Kingdom move away from heating oil this has not been used and now lies empty. At one point a planning application was filed to turn it into a penthouse but this was rejected.
- Apartments are duplex, flooded with light from both sides and heavily based on the modernist principles that were exhibited in L'Unite d'Habitation.
- All flats have balconies, those high enough up present views as far as the South Downs.
- In the 1980s cutbacks in the council housing budget had turned the flats into a virtual warzone with multiple rapes and assaults happening.
- Investment in improving security in the block has lead to it becoming a highly desirable place to live proving even ugly blocks can be good places to live if well managed.
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- Erno Goldfinger
- Greater London Council
- Main Contractor
- F.G Minter
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- 5 Goldbourne Road, London. W10 5PL
- Kensington and Chelsea
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in W10
Smithfield Business Centre Limited St Johns Lane, St Johns Lane, Farringdon
The Office Group Greville Street, Greville Street, Farringdon
Lenta Business Centres Rosebery House, Rosebery Avenue, Farringdon
Find Other Offices
- Proposal date
- Construction start date
- Completion date
- Heritage Status
- Grade II*
- Pinnacle Height (AGL)
- Pinnacle Type
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Plant Floors
- Number of Lifts
- Primary Use
Metres > Feet