- Initial plans for the Arena Central scheme, first put forward in 1998 did not include any buildings over 20 floors, but after intervention by the local council, a 50 storey tower was incorporated into the scheme as it was considered one of the most visible and prominent locations int he city Centre.
- Planning permission was granted by the Deputy Prime Minister in 2000 for a 50-storey tower with spire rising to a height of 245m making it then the tallest building in the country and one of the tallest towers in Europe.
- However, the scheme later hit a number of set backs after 11th sept 2001 when fears of the tower being a terrorist target were raised and part owners Hampton Trust pulled out of the project.
- In 2003, new partners in the form of Bridgewater Capital's Andy Ruhan were found and papers were signed in 2004.
- A new masterplan is now being drawn up and Australian developers Multiplex have come on board to help design a "landmark high-rise structure" for the site.
- In Dec 2004, planning permission which would have ran out for the 245m tower in Feb 2005 was extended to Dec 2010
- The new Masterplan for the site is expected to be unveiled anytime soon with construction starting late 2005/early 2006
29-08-2014 > New Tower Plans At Arena Central Site
28-02-2003 > Hampton Sell Arena Central
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- HOK International
- Miller Group
- Andy Ruhan, Bridgewater Capital
- Quantity Surveyor
- Structural Engineer
- Arup Group
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- Broad Street, Birmingham City Centre, Birmingham. B1
- Birmingham City Council
- West Midlands
- West Midlands
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in B1
Managed Serviced Offices Limited Eleven Brindleyplace, Brindleyplace, Birmingham
UBC Newhall Place, Newhall Hill, Birmingham
UBC Lancaster House, Newhall Street, Birmingham
Find Other Offices
- Proposal date
- Completion date
- Pinnacle Height (AGL)
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Plant Floors
- Primary Use
Metres > Feet