- Initial plans for the Arena Central scheme, first put forward in 1998 did not include any buildings over 20 floors, but after intervention by the local council, a 50 storey tower was incorporated into the scheme as it was considered one of the most visible and prominent locations int he city Centre.
- Planning permission was granted by the Deputy Prime Minister in 2000 for a 50-storey tower with spire rising to a height of 245m making it then the tallest building in the country and one of the tallest towers in Europe.
- However, the scheme later hit a number of set backs after 11th sept 2001 when fears of the tower being a terrorist target were raised and part owners Hampton Trust pulled out of the project.
- In 2003, new partners in the form of Bridgewater Capital's Andy Ruhan were found and papers were signed in 2004.
- A new masterplan is now being drawn up and Australian developers Multiplex have come on board to help design a "landmark high-rise structure" for the site.
- In Dec 2004, planning permission which would have ran out for the 245m tower in Feb 2005 was extended to Dec 2010
- The new Masterplan for the site is expected to be unveiled anytime soon with construction starting late 2005/early 2006
29-08-2014 > New Tower Plans At Arena Central Site
28-02-2003 > Hampton Sell Arena Central
If your company has been involved with the Design/Build, Supply or Maintenance of this building please submit your details.
- HOK International
- Miller Group
- Andy Ruhan, Bridgewater Capital
- Quantity Surveyor
- Structural Engineer
- Arup Group
- Reference No.
- First Uploaded
- Last Editorial Date
- Broad Street, Birmingham City Centre, Birmingham. B1
- Birmingham City Council
- West Midlands
- West Midlands
- United Kingdom
View in Google Maps
Available office space in B1
i Office Brindley Place, Brindley Place, Birmingham
Regus UK Broad Street, Broad Street, Birmingham
Managed Serviced Offices Limited Eleven Brindleyplace, Brindleyplace, Birmingham
Find Other Offices
- Proposal date
- Completion date
- Pinnacle Height (AGL)
- Roof Height (AGL)
- Total Floors (O.G)
- Plant Floors
- Primary Use
Metres > Feet